User Tools

Site Tools


29_april_2010

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

29_april_2010 [2010/04/29 17:58]
admin created
29_april_2010 [2010/04/29 18:41] (current)
admin
Line 4: Line 4:
 ===== 29 April 2010 ===== ===== 29 April 2010 =====
  
-Quick notes from the 15th April teleconference:​+//Quick notes from the 29th April teleconference:​//
  
- Bob Daniel +**Attendees:​**
- Doug Tolbert +
- ​Jishnu Mukerji (HP) +
- Larry Johnson (TethersEnd) +
- ​Manfred +
- ​Pete +
- Tom Rutt +
- ​Andrew +
- ​Sridhar+
  
-0. Appoint a note taker for this call. +   * Bob Daniel 
-> +   * Sridhar Iyengar 
-> 1. Any corrections,​ clarifications in the notes from the last meeting, +   * Larry Johnson 
-> and acceptance of the same. +   * Manfred Koethe 
-> +   * Jishnu Mukerji 
-> 2. Agenda bashing +   * Pete Rivett 
-+   * Tom Rutt 
-> 3. Discuss work item 1a "​Develop guidelines for machine readable files +   * Doug Tolbert 
-> that must accompany submissions"​ led by Pete and Cory. +   * Andrew Watson
-> +
-> 4. Brief discussion of next steps. +
-> +
->+
  
-[13:07] Jishnu Mukerji (HP): Note taker is Jishnu+**The Agenda:**
  
-[13:08] anonymous morphed into Bob Daniel+ 0. Appoint a note taker for this call.
  
-[13:10] Jishnu Mukerji (HP): Paper being discussed at http://www.omgwiki.org/​smsc/​lib/​exe/​fetch.php?​id=playground%3Anew_page&​cache=cache&​media=playground:​machine_readable_artifacts_for_omg_submissions.doc+ 1Any corrections,​ clarifications in the notes from the last meeting, and acceptance of the same.
  
-[13:11] Jishnu Mukerji (HP): Pete gave an overview of the contents of this draft+ 2. Agenda bashing
  
-[13:13] Jishnu Mukerji (HP): Discussion of the item "The files should not arbitrarily change between versions, ​for example through use of a new tool (or versions thereof). That includes changes to identifiers."+ 3. Discuss work item 1a "Develop guidelines ​for machine readable files that must accompany submissions" ​led by Pete and Cory.
  
-[13:13] Jishnu Mukerji (HP): Larry pointed out this may prove to be onerous for Domain submitters+ 4. Brief discussion of next steps.
  
-[13:21] Jishnu Mukerji (HP): Using a different tool to generate XSDs would typically cause massive syntactic changes that have relatively little semantic change+**Logistics:**
  
-[13:22Jishnu Mukerji (HP): Pete pointed out that this is a "​should"​ best practice rather than a shall "​mandatory"​ requirement+The chat room at [[http://​webconf.soaphub.org/​conf/​room/​omg-smsc]] was used for the call
  
-[13:23] SridharIf we doing our standards '​properly' ​the tool used should not change the interchange format - only a revision of the undrlying model would cause a change+ChairJishnu, Note takerJishnu. Notes were taken down in the chat room
  
-[13:24Sridhar: Suggested best practice : Interchange format changes should mirror model changes (small changes in model affect interchange by a small amount)+**Agenda Item 1:** The notes from the previous call were accepted as published at [[http://​www.omgwiki.org/​smsc/​doku.php?​id=15_april_2010 
 +]]
  
-[13:28] Jishnu Mukerji (HP): Larry: Unfortunately XMI is not specified in a way that makes it possible to achieve the second item mentioned by Sridhar+**Agenda Item 2:** The Agenda was accepted without any change.
  
-[13:29Jishnu Mukerji (HP): Pete: There are both XMI and UML issues+**Agenda Item 3:** The paper discussed was titled //[[http://​www.omgwiki.org/​smsc/​lib/​exe/​fetch.php?​id=document_archive&​cache=cache&​media=machine_readable_artifacts_for_omg_submissions.doc|"​Machine Readable Artifacts for OMG Submissions"​]]//
  
-[13:31] Jishnu Mukerji (HP): Larry: Action item raise an issue for this+Pete gave an overview of the contents of this draft
  
-[13:32] Jishnu Mukerji ​(HP): Pete two issues: 1 against UML to make all associations ordered, and 2 an issue on XMI to require XMI serialization to reflect the same ordering as in UML+Discussion of the item "//The files should not arbitrarily change between versions, for example through use of a new tool (or versions thereof). That includes changes ​to identifiers.//"​
  
-[13:32] Jishnu Mukerji (HP): Doug: Restrict ​this to RTFs+Larrypointed out this may prove to be onerous for Domain submitters
  
-[13:33] Jishnu Mukerji (HP): Manfred: There are limitations in using tools like subversion for managing model versions+Using a different tool to generate XSDs would often cause massive syntactic changes that have relatively little semantic change
  
-[13:36] Jishnu Mukerji (HP): Discussing the Manifest issue brought up by Pete, Andrew and Jishnu said the info in the manifest is necessary. We can decide how it is presented in the published document+Petepointed out that this is a "​should"​ best practice rather than a shall "​mandatory"​ requirement
  
-[13:40] Jishnu Mukerji (HP): On the issue of zip files, Larry, Manfred and Doug suggested that two separate zip files one for normatives and one for informatives with each file containing ​manifest ​of its content+SridharIf we doing our standards '​properly' ​the tool used should not change the interchange format - only revision ​of the underlying model would cause a change
  
-[13:41] Jishnu Mukerji ​(HP): Tom: When the files are published they need to be published at the right location URL+SridharSuggested best practice : Interchange format changes should mirror model changes ​(small changes in model affect interchange by a small amount)
  
-[13:48] Sridhar: got to go,  bye+LarryUnfortunately XMI is not specified in a way that makes it possible to achieve the second item mentioned by Sridhar
  
-[13:52] Jishnu ​Mukerji (HP): Contents of zip files will typically not need individual document numbers.+PeteThere are both XMI and UML issues 
 + 
 +Larry took on the action item raise an issue for this 
 + 
 +Pete: two issues: 1 against UML to make all associations ordered, and 2 an issue on XMI to require XMI serialization to reflect the same ordering as in UML 
 + 
 +Doug: Verified that this discussion is limited to RTFs and the issues regarding change do not really apply to Submission adoption and FTF outputs since it is only at the end of the FTF process that version 1.0 of a standard becomes available. 
 + 
 +Manfred: There are limitations in using tools like subversion for managing model versions 
 + 
 +Discussing the Manifest issue brought up by Pete, Andrew and Jishnu said the info in the manifest is necessary. We can decide how it is presented in the published document 
 + 
 +On the issue of zip files, Larry, Manfred and Doug suggested that two separate zip files one for normatives and one for informatives with each file containing a manifest of its content 
 + 
 +Tom: When the files like schemas are published they need to be published at the right location URL 
 + 
 +Jishnu: Contents of zip files will typically not need individual document numbers. 
 + 
 +Collectively:​ We can most likely do with a single zip file per process with the manifest for the zip file which will be contained in the zip file mentioning things like whether a particular file in the zip file needs to be archived separately using its own document number or needs to be published at a specific URL. 
 + 
 +**Agenda Item 4:** 
 + 
 +Too many people are unavailable next week to make it worthwhile to meet. So the next meeting will be the following week. 
 + 
 +Pete will send Jishnu an updated version of the document that was discussed today to place on the Wiki 
 + 
 +Jishnu will propose an agenda for the next call before the end of this week, to be finalized next week. 
 + 
 +Larry will file issues regarding UML and XMI deficiencies in consultation with Pete. 
 + 
 +Keeping with the plan mentioned at the last meeting we will possibly spend our time primarily on item 1c - tooling led by Bob and JD. 
 + 
 + 
 +**Next Call Info:** 
 + 
 +Date/Time: Thursday 13th May 2010 18:00 BST, 13:00 EDT, 10:00 PDT 
 + 
 +Number: +1 605 475 4850 
 + 
 +Access code: 422074# 
 + 
 +In case of problems getting onto the call, please call Andrew on +44 7710 469624. 
 + 
29_april_2010.txt · Last modified: 2010/04/29 18:41 by admin